Thursday, November 19, 2009

killing yourself to live

When this book was first assigned for this course i was very sceptical about what the class would be like but i liked the class and once we started reading the book i found it hard to put down even if i didn't always know what the reference was chuck was making. The book although jumps all over is very interesting and some would see this as an improvement he could make but i like the randomness of his story because i find it more interesting to read and i ramble and jump from topic to topic as well(maybe not as much as he does but still). I think i would recommend this book but not to everyone. The first criteria i think i would look for in a person when recommending it is that they know at least some of the bands mentioned in the book even if they don't know as much as Chuck(lets face not many people probably DO know as much as him) and second that they don't mind the jumping around because if your not use to following someone who jumps around a lot i think the book would be lost on you.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that this book might not be the best book for everyone to read, but yes it is a great book to read. I think it's the kind of book that the reader would be better off approaching with an open mind. Music knowledge isn't always important, at least I don't think so, but if you look at the music background as characters in the story we might not know anything about it can make the story a little easier to understand. I tended to read into him more than the artists that he was researching, but I knew the majority of those artists and their deaths off hand anyway, so perhaps I am slightly biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and can see that certain people would love this book. It would be a good "Summer book". But trying to keep the facts straight are maddening to me. That is what I really didn't like about it. If I was reading it my self, at my own pace, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

    ReplyDelete